Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Colorful houses in my 'hood!

The first time I visited Miami I was taken with how colorful the city's houses were.

I saw houses painted bright red, vibrant blue, day-glow orange, deep purple, and even pepto pink.  Others were painted in soft shades of pastel, and a good number were multicolored.  It was a cacophony of color and I loved it.  In the neighborhood I grew up in everyone (and I mean everyone) lived in a brick house. We measured variation by shades of brick--camel, brownish red, dark red.    

Things aren't much different in the DMV.  There are more exceptions than in my hometown, of course, but as a general rule the houses here are just as buttoned up as their owners.  Brick is where it is at, whether you live in a center hall colonial or a Wardman era row house.  Even when people do paint their houses, they tend to be awfully conformist.  The colors don't stray far from the beige spectrum--tan, taupe, or antique white.     

Fortunately, not everyone in the DMV is a conformist!  Here are some of the more colorful houses in my 'hood.  With temps set to fall to 25 degrees tonight, these house colors remind me of Miami (and warm weather!):







    

No comments:

Post a Comment