Monday, December 15, 2014

Only in the DMV--Letters to the Editor edition.

When I think about what the political class in Washington DC sounds like, I always think of Washington Post columnist George Will.

Will isn't afraid to use SAT words.  Truth be told, he's already moved on.  He's in GRE territory.  

And, he loves to use obscure historical references.  Usually to a war I've never heard about, or a group that sort of, kind of sounds familiar.    

You know, just to remind you that that all that daydreaming in History has come back to haunt you.  

But, it turns out George Will has some competition.  In the Washington Post's Saturday letters to the editor one Dennis William Chapman wrote in to complain about the previous week's real estate section story on micro houses.  

I'm not a fan of micro-houses anymore than I am a fan of micro-units.  They may be affordable (in a comparative sense), but I reject the idea that affordability basically amounts to high-end SROs (single room occupancy).  I don't care if that tiny counter-top is marble and the space is ergonomic.  If I don't have room to chop veggies, or at least 500 square feet to wander around in, it isn't big enough.    

But, Dennis puts it so much better than I could.  He manages to combine erudition with DC bravadoI will crush you peon.  Here he is in all of his glory:  

"The Post should not promote this artistic debauchery.  The 'green' Philistines mean well, but they must be controlled.  People need art, beauty and a little more room."  

Well done Mr. Chapman.  And Mr. Will, you might want to watch your back!  



No comments:

Post a Comment