Sunday, October 19, 2014

Not sure about right and wrong? Just hire a consultant to tell you.

Just imagine that your kid comes to you one evening and asks--have I been good enough for Santa Claus this year?  And, imagine you respond by saying, 'let's hire a consultant to figure that out!'   

Sounds silly, huh?  Well, that's what Montgomery County's Board of Education recently did when the Washington Post reported that some of its members were racking up questionable credit card expenses.

They paid $140,000 to a local law firm (which has already done about 600k worth of work for the board over the last two years) to review the expenses and identify any wrong doing.  That's right, you have to pay someone to tell you you've been spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave. 

Who knew you could outsource all of your moral quandaries?  Not I, but things are about to change in my life.  I'm going to start outsourcing my moral quandaries to consultants as well.   

This April 15th, I think I'll delay my taxes and spend the money instead on a consultant who can tell me if I really need to do this.  I found a great guy, too.  Sure, he's got a bunker in his backyard, a 'don't tread on me' flag in his front yard, and a twitchy habit of always looking over his shoulder, but he SWEARS he's a consultant. 

I'm also reconsidering those 40 hours a week I'm meant to work.  I mean, there's nothing in my contract about that.  'Full-time' can mean so many things.  Like that poster that says 'make your time here as full as it can be.'  Or the meme on Facebook with that bottle of wine and a caption telling me to 'live it up.'  That means to the fullest doesn't it?  And, anyway, I have been wanting to sleep in late, so I think I'll take Fridays off from now on.  And, I'll hire my friend, let's call him Steve, to review the situation if and when the boss calls. 

I could get used to this!





1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a job opportunity for me. 7 years teaching logic and ethics in 3 u.s. universities should make me well qualified. And frankly i could use the extra money - cash only - and then maybe one day i can hire my own counsel to help me spend my earnings tax free.

    ReplyDelete