Monday, February 17, 2014

Welcome to MoCo Musings

This blog is my way to get acquainted with my new home--Montgomery County, Maryland.  I live in South Four Corners, a sweet little neighborhood in Silver Spring just north of the beltway between Georgia and Colesville Road.  My perch is down county.  But, I'll be looking north, east, south and west, because borders notwithstanding, this is truly a metropolitan area.

I moved to Montgomery County in October of 2012.  In a lot of ways it was a hard move.  I spent the previous 14 years in DC.  And, to be honest, I didn't want to leave.  It's not that I had a love affair with DC.  If I was dating DC I wouldn't put 'in a relationship with DC' on my Facebook page.  Nope, I'd put 'its complicated.'  I loved my neighbors, I loved my local pub, and I loved my proximity to work.  I didn't like dealing with the DC DMV, the latent hostility of some city workers, or the grind of looking for parking on cold winter nights.   The transience also bothered me.  It is hard to build a community when its potential members are always changing.  Still--inertia set in, and in my 14 years I'd become a bonafide city girl.

Life has a way of upending the inert.

A number of factors contributed to the move:
  • A 1-bedroom condo was too small for 2 adults (me and hubby), a baby (lovebug) and 1 dog (Fluffy stuff). 
  • 'Are you for real--this apartment costs how much?'  Yes, the DC housing market is ridiculous. 
  • The public schools in the neighborhoods we could afford ran the gamut from so-so to crappy.  My friends in the District told me things would be better by the time my son was ready to go to school.  But, it was a gamble I didn't want to make since private school simply wasn't an option (can't afford it, don't want it).  
  • I was close enough to walk to work, but my husband had an hour commute on New York Avenue.  Enough said. 
  • Baby boy arrived and baby boy's entourage of stuff was filling all available wall space
  • The sofa won't cut it anymore for visitors

Come join me as I explore Montgomery county and its place in the DMV.  


2 comments:

  1. Ha! Let them. These chumps are going to be taken for a ride by the IOC band of professional leeches.

    What is it with cities and the Olympics? Haven't they seen what happened in Athens and Beijing after the Sacred Olympic Games were gone? The selected cities construct enormous stadiums that are never going to be used again. It is just a money maker for the IOC leeches and a money pit for host and wanna be host cities.

    Idiots the bunch of them. I'm surprised Danny Boy is not among them. I guess he thinks he has enough leverage to swindle a stadium for his football team from DC all by himself.

    Sad, really.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... The comment above was meant for the DC 2024 post. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete